Thursday, April 28, 2016

Jeff Healey: Heal My Soul Review

Heal My Soul is the first album of new material in fifteen years from the late great Jeff Healey.  A  lot of posthumous releases leave me with the impression that there was a good reason why the artist never released this material.  Naturally, I was nervous when I was asked to listen to Heal My Soul and write a review. I have been a Jeff Healey fan since his debut, See The Light. Was I going to have to give a bad review to one of my favorite artists of all time?
With the first blistering guitar strains of the opening track “Daze Of The Night,” I breathed an enormous sigh of relief and it gets better, too.  “Moodswing” keeps us rocking hard with it’s wah-wah soaked riffing and trippy-drippy vocal lines. I started to realize that this is no collection of b-sides and throwaways. The acoustic “Baby Blue” is a gorgeous ballad with harmonies that just bring a smile to your face. “I Misunderstood” shows what Jeff can do with a cleaner “Strat-tone.” Then it’s back to hard driving blues rock riffing with “Please.” There isn’t a bad song or even dull moment in the whole lot. In many ways this is some of Jeff’s best work. Which begs the question, why did it take fifteen years to release?
Heal My Soul was compiled with the participation and full approval of the Jeff Healey Estate to coincide with what would have been Healey’s 50th birthday on March 25th, 2016.  Jeff Healey is remembered as one of the most outstanding guitarists and performers of the past 30 years. This album reignited my passion for Jeff’s music and I found myself digging into his back catalog.  Heal My Soul is much more than just a fitting tribute.  With it’s superb song selection, fiery guitar work and very modern production, this album sounds like Jeff made it yesterday.
The Review: 9.5/10
Can’t Miss Tracks
– Daze of the Night
– Please

– Moodswing
– Baby Blue
– Temptation
– Under A Stone
The Big Hit
– Daze Of The Night



No comments:

Post a Comment